Sunday, July 6, 2008

June 5th 2008, Journal Entry from Lisbon Layover

Sometimes life is just purely and simply; good. I can't describe it or exactly explain it, but this was one of the best layovers I've had. We arrived late, waited for our rooms, I got to my room, took off my lanyard and realized my Crew ID was missing. I immediately went back downstairs to see if it had dropped anywhere, in the elevator, in the lobby, outside... I asked the front desk if they could call the van driver to see if it was there...After my 4 hours of sleep and having wandered around Lisbon in search of mom's pottery, I got back to the hotel to find out that someone had found my ID! I'll have to find out in the morning where it was exactly. Anyway, I saved 50 bucks and a lot of hassle.

Halfway through my 4 hour nap (on this wonderful, most comfortable Sofitel bed) I started hearing what seemed to be a parade outside. At first I thought, "this must be where the 'summer festival days' originated that I've had to put up with in the Ironbound," but then I realized that it sounded like protesting. After finally dragging myself out of bed, I felt a little guilty hurrying past the protesters to find the olive dish for capri, "the-dish-that-got-away" for mom and "the-dress-that-got-away" for me. Finally, I had luck with some pottery but couldn't find the infamous dish or the bright blue dress I'd seen in the window last time. Then I came back to meet the crew (most of them) for dinner. We relaxed in the lobby bar, and then headed out to a family-run, small restaurant that Odete has been going to for years. This hole-in-the-wall "cantina for well-being," or however it was translated, had absolutely the best food I've had so far on my trips to Portugal. I wish my mom had been there. The food went well with the good conversation and atmosphere. We took up one of the maybe 5 tables in the place. We spent hours devouring appetizers, salad, bread, cheese, shrimp, clams, wine, fresh fish, pork, strawberries, dessert, coffee, liqueur... and then the cute little restaurant owner did not want a dime from us. I think that makes the top of my list hospitality-wise. I just have never seen anything like it. He did not even know us, and he only knows Odete from when she comes into the restaurant. We left him a tip of 20 Euros. I feel that wasn't enough for all the hours the 5 of us sat there and all the delicious food we consumed, but I think he knew how grateful we were. We all gave him hugs and kisses as we left. After that, we walked "home" from the Barrio Alto and now here I am making an account of the day and getting ready for a good night's sleep after a very satisfying layover. Goodnight!
p.s. the van driver was the one who found my ID and made a special trip back to the hotel to bring it to me. the protesting had been about low wages, and although this had been a pure and good layover, the flight home was something out of the twilight zone. We all agreed it had to be the most unruly, unnappreciative and rude group of people ever gathered on one flight. :) That just goes to show how nothing is guaranteed in this job. It's all a gamble, you've just gotta cross your fingers and hope for the best! :)
p.p.s. you know you're a flight attendant when you've verbally referred to the hotel as "home." (yes, I've done it).

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Whidbey Island, Washington, United States
These are the tales of some real travels and some that can't really be considered real. The ones that can't really be considered real are the layovers I've had working as a flight attendant. I know that I've been to those places and have had experiences there, but it almost feels more like dream sequences than real life. I've been interested in 'the world out there' since I was a small child. My mother made me realize that 'different' was interesting and everything 'foreign' has intrigued me ever since. At the age of 14 I had my first experience as a world traveler when I went to Osaka, Japan for 2 months to be a nanny. My travels this past year have been much different than that, but every travel, no matter how short, opens your eyes to the world...Here are my stories...