Friday, July 18, 2008

"Flight attendant Blankinship?," "Yes?," "We have an assignment for you."

Sometimes I feel like I am spy or work for the government the way that the voices on the other end of the phone line have control over my life. ;) Reserve life. It's like nothing I've ever experienced before. Actually, let me tell you; Initial Training was like nothing I've ever experienced before. After explaining the 4 1/2 stressful weeks to my dad he said, "Gee, that sounds like boot camp!!"
Maybe that's why I feel like I'm a part of some big family. Every time I see another flight attendant, whether from my company or another one, I know we have something in common. We've lived through some of the same nightmares, for maybe some of the same dreams. My dream is to travel. At the same time of course, I have to have meaning in my life. I have to be successful creating exchange programs and enabling people to travel and discover themselves in a new place. I will do this, if reserve life doesn't allow me to do it, then I'll have to find a different way...The funny thing is, I don't know if I can imagine life without the benefits of this job. I don't know if I can imagine a "normal" sleeping schedule, or weekends off? They say that once this job gets into your blood, you're done for. You really can't do anything else, or at least, you choose not to.
I wish I had a crystal ball... How long will I have to be on reserve???
p.s. They called me for Belfast. ;) (Why not Rome or Milan? Oh well...;)).

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Whidbey Island, Washington, United States
These are the tales of some real travels and some that can't really be considered real. The ones that can't really be considered real are the layovers I've had working as a flight attendant. I know that I've been to those places and have had experiences there, but it almost feels more like dream sequences than real life. I've been interested in 'the world out there' since I was a small child. My mother made me realize that 'different' was interesting and everything 'foreign' has intrigued me ever since. At the age of 14 I had my first experience as a world traveler when I went to Osaka, Japan for 2 months to be a nanny. My travels this past year have been much different than that, but every travel, no matter how short, opens your eyes to the world...Here are my stories...